BUILDING MY NEW PC FOR LIGHTROOM WITH RYZEN 7 (PART 1: LR AND CPU)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
orpheuslau
orpheuslau Forum Member • Posts: 90
BUILDING MY NEW PC FOR LIGHTROOM WITH RYZEN 7 (PART 1: LR AND CPU)

(a) System design tailored for Lightroom

Lightroom is picky. Even your system scores beautifully in bench-marking software, Lightroom may not exhibit the same level of efficiency in practical use. For example, Lightroom is not optimized for multi-core CPU therefore a 4-core 4GHz CPU may outrun a 8-core 3.5GHz setup.

File Import: It is not a CPU demanding procedure. Using faster storage media (e.g. SSD, USB 3.0) the better.

Building preview: During post-processing, e.g. using brush, we need to zoom in 1:1 so that we can see every detail of the image. However it usually takes a couple seconds to zoom in one single image (e.g. A99ii raw). If you have considerable number of images to be processed, you can imagine how frustrating it can be. Therefore some people uses to build 1:1 preview when importing. This idea of batch processing can save you time however this process can still take 20-30mins or more depending on your PC. Again using a multi-core CPU has no significant effect on zooming in instead it wants a CPU running in higher clock speed (GHZ).

1:1 zoom in: Instead of building 1:1 preview for all imported image, once files are imported, I will screen and move them into quick selection first. Post-processing will be done within the quick selection category. Using GPU acceleration can speed up the 1:1 zoom-in. With the acceleration enabled in my GTX980ti, I can zoom in a A99ii Raw file instantly. However this acceleration only applies in Develop module....

To be continued.

Full story: https://orpheuslau.wordpress.com/2017/09/16/amd-ryzen-7-new-pc-for-lightroom-and-photoshop-part-1-system-design/

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow