The future of Pentax PDAF

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,216
The future of Pentax PDAF

At this point in time, I have got to think Pentax engineers are working with sensor chips with PDAF built into them for some future models coming down the pike.    It has been two years since the Sony A7RII came out with very good on sensor PDAF and it seems Sony keeps chips for itself for about two years before making them available to everyone.

I was playing with a friend's A7RII at my daughters track meet over the weekend and it seemed to me the AF was better than my K1.    (The A7RII is also a much much more expensive camera)

So that would mean traditional PDAF with AF modules are probably about as developed as they ever will be... not just for Pentax but for everyone.   So why would Pentax want to play catch up to Nikon in AF modules when Nikon themselves are likely developing cameras with on sensor PDAF?

I am just speculating of course.  What do you think?

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +22 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
JNR
JNR
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow