What happened to multiaspect sensors?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sonofhurin New Member • Posts: 8
What happened to multiaspect sensors?

I am  with m43 since its inception. One of the best and innovative features of those time was the multiaspect sensor, which allowed changing proportions to fit the scene without the price of losing half the pixels and decreasing field of view. The idea was quickly dropped, but clearly not because lack of interest, as it's still featured on Panasonic's compacts.

I loved this feature; I adapt the format of most of my pictures, and 2/3 is probably still most common.

Nowadays the system feels serious heat from the competition, which reached the spot where their lens and body choices are, if not matching 4/3, than at least good enough, while having image quality advantage, only excebrated by potential crop.

While new bodies become heavier and heavier as well as pricier and pricier I look more and more towards fuji, which, apart from similar looks, also have great lenses, but bodies with more controls and is overall more consistent with its lineup (GF1, GX1, GM5...) and cheaper overall. While I feel a connection with m4/3 and I'm an oly fan since film OMs, today I couldn't recommend it as a universal system to someone starting with photography.

Return of multiaspect could eat some of the distance to apsc, to the point of the difference really being insignificant. Both sony and fuji have fit apsc sensors in smaller bodies and at lower prices, too, so I can't see an insurmountable technical or financial reason.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow