Older DSLR to MFT? Suggestions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OrangeTH100 New Member • Posts: 5
Older DSLR to MFT? Suggestions

Hey guys, DPReview always comes up when I search for answers, but this is my first time posting. I've been successfully using a Nikon D50 6MP DSLR with 18-200mm lens since 2006. It still works, photos are sharp, I don't really print that much, usually books or a select 8x10 so I've got plenty of resolution, etc. I've also got a Nikon P7000 advanced PnS that I've never REALLY been happy with (it doesn't have the dynamic range or depth of field that the D50 has), but gives me a lot of manual control and decent shots when I don't feel like toting the D50. I'm headed to Iceland over Christmas and I'm getting the itch to buy some new gear after 11 years. It seems with the Olympus OM-D E-M10 MK III at the gates, there are some great deals on the MK II, deals on lenses, etc. and this may be the time to make the leap.

My thought is, the OM-D with the 14-42 EZ lens would give me the portability of the P7000 but with better range. Then the ability to add the 40-150mm lens would give me the zoom I'm used to. Is this a lateral move? I kind of have always thought I'd get a new camera when the D50 gave up the ghost, but the thing seems unstoppable. It's been to Japan 3 times, to the top of Mt. Fuji, all over Europe, the Grand Canyon. I shoot a lot of buildings and landscape and ran "ExposurePlot" which points that the 14-42 would get the most use by far, and I've considered just going with that lens, but it's only $100 right now to add the 40-150 (bundle).

I live in suburban southeastern PA, but there is like one shop within 40 miles where I could even handle one of these in person. Stupid internet... Any thoughts?

I'm posting a few shots (all handheld) below for reference of what I do like to shoot with some comparisons between the D50 and the P7000.

D50

D50

D50

P7000, good sharpness, but kind of flat and the sky detail blows out.

D50

Same sunset with the P7000

D50

Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D50 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow