GX85 for Astro Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cjmartin Junior Member • Posts: 29
GX85 for Astro Photography

Hi everyone I want to try some Astro Photography since there is a new moon this week and the forecast looks good for clear skies and I can get to dark areas pretty easily. The question I have is about the gear I'm using and some tips on how to approach it. I've watch lots of YouTube videos and played around in the back yard with some success shooting stars but not the milky way. Below is a list of my gear and I'm wondering what people would suggest I use with the gear I have currently and does anyone using the same or similar camera have any advice? Here is my gear.

1. Panasonic GX85
  2. Panasonic 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6
  3. Panasonic 25mm f/1.7
  4. Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 (Manual Focus)
  5. Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 (Manual Focus)

I do have a tripod and also a remote shutter app for controlling the camera which I know is essential. I'm not really worried about composition at this point I'm more curious about the technical side of things getting the gear I have to take a starscape / milky way type of shot. In the few times I've played with it I've found focusing hard to accomplish since I've started in the dark which will most likely be the case this week as well. I've also seen people start with settings using low apertures and higher ISO's at roughly 15-30 seconds to get sharp stars. I have the photopills app if that helps and I understand the 500 rule. I understand full well that my gear probably isn't the best choices for astro photography but it's what I have now so I want to make it work the best it can.

Any ideas or pointers for more studying and learning?

cjmartin's gear list:cjmartin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow