Using Panasonic lens on Olympus camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MichaelInGC Contributing Member • Posts: 513
Using Panasonic lens on Olympus camera

This post is related to an earlier thread concerning my use of a Panasonic lens on my E-M1.2. Perhaps it should be posted there but it seems important enough to warrant a new thread. To reiterate, I bought a Panasonic 100-300 to use for birding on my Olympus E-M1.2 and found that some of the burst sequence photos I took were OOF. The previous thread made multiple suggestions about how to address this problem and I revised my shooting and took burst photos of stationary objects in my backyard, the bird blind I previously used being 600 miles away. As one poster said, that is too far to get a good focus lock ...

Some of the new burst sequence photos (Low speed continuous, C-AF, IBIS off, tripod mounted) were also OOF so I took the suggestion of one of the previous posters and examined the exif data from the raw photos to see if the focusing distance had changed, and it had. Each burst sequence of 8-10 photos of a stationary object showed between 1 and 3 OOF photos with changed focus distance. I then took my Olympus zoom (40-150) and repeated the test and found that none of the burst photos were OOF and none had changed focus distances. All photos within a burst group showed the exact same focus distance.

I am not claiming that I know why this happened repeatedly, but I assume that it might be related to the inability of the Panasonic lens to keep up with the higher burst speed of the E-M1.2. Of course that is a guess and perhaps it is completely wrong, but what I saw was that every test burst using the Panasonic lens showed a changed focus distance and every test burst with the Olympus lens did not. Given that I am returning the Panasonic lens and buying the 75-300mm Olympus lens.

I am not saying that this is a general rule, only that this is what happened to me when I used the Panasonic 100-300 on my E-M1.2 and I will be careful to only buy Olympus glass for this camera from now on. I would like to thank those who were so helpful in the previous thread and especially the poster who suggested checking the exif data for focusing distances.

MichaelInGC's gear list:MichaelInGC's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow