Test shot: Sigma 19 vs Sony 10-18 vs Sony 16-50

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jtr27 Senior Member • Posts: 1,749
Re: Test shot: Sigma 19 vs Sony 10-18 vs Sony 16-50

brilly wrote:

a good photographer can take a great photo with a potato - if you need a camera and lens then you should just quit now

if you agree then you are right

if you disagree then you are argumentative and should be ignored

you can read all about it in my latest book which is all about me like the rest of my posts

People understand instinctively, I believe, that "advertorial" advertising (that is, an advertisement that pretends to be something other than an advertisement) is the lowest level to which "marketing" can sink.

The company or person who engages in such activity lacks even the integrity to admit that they're trying to sell you something.

Whether or not such activity violates the rules of this forum is for others to decide. But my opinion is that it's in very poor taste.

At least the guy hawking Salad Spinners on TV has the honesty to be up front about it!

The true professionals, people whose work really is good enough, don't need to engage in advertising on a message board in order to sell their work.

These ham-fisted "marketing" efforts by wannabe pros divert their time and energy from where it first ought to be spent, in my opinion - in creating images that are worth paying for.

It's like using a large, flourishy watermark on a landscape shot that does not even have a level horizon line: more thought has been put into the watermark itself than into the image that is being "protected." Salesmanship triumphs over substance.

Like most here, I believe, I have no pro aspirations. I take photographs and participate here solely because I enjoy photography, and I enjoy interacting with others who do too.

Most of us will agree and sometimes disagree, sometimes vehemently, but at least we'll understand that there's no ulterior motive, no thinly-disguised cheesy sales pitch taking place.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow