Wild exposure swings A7rII & A9 what to check?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
terryreid
terryreid Contributing Member • Posts: 681
Wild exposure swings A7rII & A9 what to check?

I have been experiencing wide exposure swings and have no idea why and it is with the A7rII and A9.

There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why or at least that I can figure out.

I typically shoot Aperture to be able to control the look I want on AF-C with wide, center and flexible spot.

I can see in the viewfinder and also in the images much darker and underexposed images in the middle of say four or five presses of the shutter I will end up focused on the same thing with one string being way underexposed like the samples here.

I will be outdoors shooting in A mode and notice my ISO is 100 or 400 what ever I set it for and the F Stop is say F5.6 or F8 which is normal for the lighting but the shutter speed is at 2000 or sometimes higher for no reason that I can come up with.

Does anyone know what I need to check or able to explain why this is happening?

It is happening too often and ruining some good opportunities that pop up when I am out shooting pics.

I realize the darker one is F10 instead of F8 here which makes me think I was in Automatic mode on these samples. I was using flexible spot focusing on the hood of the car yesterday.

It looks like a much bigger difference in exposure than I would expect from 2/3 of a stop do you think because it was on F10 stopped below our beloved AF of F8 and below is what is causing it?

That would be more of a focus issue than exposure though?

Normal exposure

Same shot a few seconds later

-- hide signature --

Please do not put words in my mouth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +19 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow