Very disappointing autofocus & ergonomics

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
beethoven2493 New Member • Posts: 12
Very disappointing autofocus & ergonomics

I bought this camera when it got cheap enough to buy, as an alternate to my beloved Panasonic DMC-GM5. I wanted a camera that had IBIS for those moments when my 20mm f/1.7 wasn't enough to ensure a clear picture. TL;DR it was a waste of money.

The good:

1. The High-Key shooting mode results in really, really beautiful pictures with great color.
  2. I love the electronic front curtain shutter mode. What a great idea!
  3. Everybody groans about how complicated the menus are. Big whoop! I wish they were even more complicated.

The bad:

1. The autofocus is so awful and terrible. I want to photograph my children, and they move around. This is absolutely the wrong camera for them. But even in still pictures, it focused all wrong, all the time.
  2. You can customize the hotkeys and dials - except not to every function, inexplicably. I couldn't, for instance, reprogram the dials or arrow keys or function keys to change focus mode (except just to MF) - but I could program them to switch to underwater mode. Really, who needs a change to underwater mode more than they need a change between single and continuous focus?
  3. The dials are very pleasurable to use when you mean to use them. But they are so easy to accidentally move, too! When suddenly I find myself overexposed by 2 1/3 stops and have to painstakingly reset it, that is pretty annoying.

Sadly, from what I read, none of these problems are fixed in the Mark III, so I guess I'm waiting for the successor to the GM5 to come out.

beethoven2493's gear list:beethoven2493's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus Air Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +4 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
16 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Aug 25, 2015
beethoven2493's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
poor
Action / sports
poor
Landscapes / scenery
acceptable
Portraits
mediocre
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow