Best birding/butterfly setup around $2000

Started Sep 11, 2017 | Questions thread
Sharik0192 Regular Member • Posts: 232
Re: Best birding/butterfly setup around $2000

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I’ve been investigating this issue for a while now and have been using a couple of different setups over the past couple of months. ....

In the end I decided to go ahead and keep the Sigma. If money were no object I would probably go with the Canon because it really is a no-compromise solution but money is an object for me and I am getting the results I want with the Sigma.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for this very informative comparative review of the two 100-400 mm lenses. I've been using Canon 100-400 mk2 on 7D2 for about 1.5 years and really like that lens, but not so much the camera, so naturally am looking for alternatives in the other systems (I see suitable no alternatives in the Canon system unfortunately, because I don't want to give up 10 fps, and don't fancy the weight and the price of 1Dx, either original or mk2). The problem is finding the lens that would have similar quality and the feature set as the Canon 100-400 mk2. The Sigma 100-400c indeed looks like a promising alternative that can be used in other systems (on the basis of reviews, I never handled that lens myself), but there are still a few points that are unclear to me, and I would appreciate your further comments:

1) Minimum focusing distance. The Canon can focus to 98 cm, and I use it as a close-up lens quite often. Don't need to carry a macro lens. All other 100-400 (and 70-400, 80-400, 150-450, 200-500 etc.), including the Sigma, lenses have longer minimum focusing distances, typically >1.5m (with one notable exception of the new Sony 100-400, which seems to be an exact match to the Canon). Do you find this larger distance restrictive?

2) The maximum aperture of the Canon switches from 4.5 to 5.0 at ~130 mm, and from 5.0 to 5.6 at ~310 mm, so for the most part of its focal range it is a f5.0 lens. I use it at 300 mm f5.0 quite often. What are the switching points of the Sigma?

3) How do you compare the bokeh quality between these lenses?

Sharik0192's gear list:Sharik0192's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow