Soft proofing in Affinity Photo

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
Re: Soft proofing in Affinity Photo

IanYorke wrote:

kamituel wrote:

Why not soft proof in C1Pro? The soft proof routine is simple and was one of the significant improvements in V10.

I don't have any particular to be honest. I just picked AP as it seemed to give me a bit more control (i.e. gamut check).

In what way soft proofing differs in C1 that makes it easier? (I struggle to find any comprehensive tutorial on PhaseOne's blog, just found this one: http://blog.phaseone.com/exporting-and-printing-images-in-capture-one-pro/ - but I think it applies to C9 (as it was posted before C10 was released).

-- hide signature --

This video introduces soft proofing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRs1lZCDpLU

Martin Bailey quote: "I often find that modern printers produce results which are close to the required result even though the display shows out of gamut areas when using perceptual mode. So called flying in the face of the gamut gods. Perceptual; mode shifts all colours".

So true. Photoshop's out of gamut masking is marginally useful where it applies but is only a tiny piece of info. And it isn't useful at all in printer Perceptual since out of gamut doesn't even have a meaning in that mode in spite of what Photoshop mask indicates.

Also, when printing in Relative Colorimetric where out of gamut does have meaning, Photoshop mask doesn't even kick in until your dE is over about 6. So there's plenty of room for gamut clipping posterization that doesn't get flagged. Soft proofing addresses this and much more including what Perceptual actually produces colorwise. However, it does require one to have put the time and money into setting up a good soft proofing system as well as a print viewing station that hopefully matches reasonably closely.

Anyway Andrew, thanks for doing the world a favor and putting out good videos on soft proofing. It can save people time, money, and much hair pulling if done properly.

He recommends a test print when you think you are reasonably close, although his idea of a test print is 18" x 24" as he is normally printing LARGE

I guess the best test would be to soft proof in C1Pro 10 and try a print. If that is not good enough then something like processing in Affinity would be more appropriate. Does Affinity / PS show you how far out of Gamut something is? If not, what is significant to a colorimeter may not be visible to the human eye.

Ian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow