Minolta Rokkor-X MD 50mm 1.4, aperture ball bearing reassembly

Started 2 weeks ago | Questions thread
E Dinkla Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: Minolta Rokkor-X MD 50mm 1.4, aperture ball bearing reassembly

brianhcjeong wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

If I understand you correctly, I should use the grease to hold the "ball" in place while putting the aperture ring? I don't have any grease at home so I won't be able to do that. Please kindly let me know if I didn't understand you correctly as I am little confused with your explanation.

Also there wasn't any spring that came out when I was disassembling it. Maybe it could have sprung out? Or are there some models without the spring?

Kindly reply,

They all have a spring, one way or another. Sometimes the hole the ball sits in goes through the wall and a flat permanent spring is fixed at the other side but it is unlikely that construction is used in your lens.

The ball sits in the aperture ring and not in the lens body according the linked video, most likely it has a small spring in the hole. If the hole does not show a small spring you probably lost it but look carefully it can still be in that hole. If the spring is lost you will not find it I think. A non pro repair is to cut a small piece of office rubber band and insert it in the hole, it will press the ball to the grooves for some years to come but not longer. If the ball gets lost too you should find a ballpoint pen with the right size ball and get that out of the pen point. Done that in the past and it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItpkxuavBnY      at the 27 minute it shows the reassembling of the aperture ring on a similar MD 50mm 1.4

Though shall not clean or repair a lens without suitable grease in the house!

If this does not explain it I am afraid I can not help you further. Find a technician to do the job.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
750+ inkjet paper white spectral plots: OBA content etc.
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow