E-M1 Mk II focusing

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MichaelInGC Regular Member • Posts: 254
E-M1 Mk II focusing

I finally got to take my new E-M1.2 on a trip and stopped at one of the State Parks that has bird blinds to see how the camera works for birding. I have the Panasonic 100-300 II that I bought specifically for birding and wanted to try it out, but only had the late afternoon and early evening so the light was not as good as I would have liked.

What I found was that I had 2 basic issues with focusing. The first was that the the images were not as sharp was I expected and the second was that the focus dot, when placed on small birds some distance away, was larger than the bird and would sometimes focus on the background behind the bird.

The first issue is more of an annoyance than anything else since I can correct it in software if I wish. I had been birding using a Canon 5D3 with Canon L glass and the photos were usually razor sharp while that is not true with the E-M1.2. The photos are OK, but lack the kind of sharpness I am used to with the FF. Part of that might be the high ISO that I was forced to use, but perhaps the Panny 100-300 is not a particularly sharp lens and it may be unfair to compare it to Canon L glass. I do not know and would appreciate any advice concerning this. I bought the Panasonic rather than the Olympus 75-300 because of some of the comments I saw on this forum concerning softness in the Olympus lens at its length, but maybe the Panasonic has the same issue. Perhaps I should have purchased the Panasonic 100-400 as I wanted the flexibility of a zoom rather than a prime and there do not seem to be many choices in long zooms for M4/3 and the only alternative seemed to be the Olympus 40-150 F/2.8 coupled with the physical TC. I can still return the 100-300 as I just bought it, but doing so would be a waste if the lens is considered to be sharp.

The second issue seems more serious to me. I lost a lot of shots due to the focus "dot" being larger than the object I was trying to focus on and tried to compensate by setting the camera to use the DTC functionality. I use the raws and not the jags, so what this did for me was give me a larger image to focus on and make it somewhat easier to place the "dot" where I wanted it, but it also raised a question for me. If the "dot" covers a large part of the bird is there any way to know where in the "dot" that the actual focus will be? That is, can I assume that the camera will select the center of the "dot"? Or will it pick whatever part it wants? Would I be better off using the focus zoom rather than the DTC functionality? The DTC did wok in that the raw photos seemed better focused on the bird and not the background and I do not need the jpgs.

Any help would be appreciated.

MichaelInGC's gear list:MichaelInGC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow