Testing the DA560mm

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Arijit Banerjee
Arijit Banerjee Senior Member • Posts: 2,450
Testing the DA560mm

Thanks again Ricoh-Pentax India. They have sent over the 560mm for testing/ trials.. whatever.

When I reached home from work last Friday, there was this big box waiting. Toys are always fun. Once I unwrapped it all, there was this HUGE white lens inside. Bent down to pick it out and it was OUCH!!! I have ankylosing spondylitis and the cloudy weather makes everything hurt double... So the first thought was, "hey, how do I shoot with this?".

Next morning, on goes the K1 (again courtesy Ricoh-Pentax). Lugged it over to the garden. Sat down and tried propping it on my knee. Heavy. No birds worth shooting. Tried some flowers but everything was swaying... One impressionable juvenile Koel dropped in. Poor thing must have been traumatised at the sight of the monster lens.

Saturday afternoon got an old Benro Tripod from a friend. No head. So put my swivel head from my Monopod (One needs a big plate to be safe). This time things looked better. Test shots. +5 Microfocus adjustment and I was good to shoot. Not too many subjects. But not bad results.

Sunday morning off we went for birding (it had been a while I was out). Sat at the back of a friend's car. He had a decent pod for me to try out, but birds were way too far off. This time round, I had the K3II on.

As I have mentioned in the past, fieldcraft rather than focal length is the more important determinant for a good bird shot. Nonetheless a distant basking Flapshell Turtle, cropped a lot, looks like this...

While moving from one point to another, I chanced upon some closer subjects. Lens propped on the car window sill.

And then on a post nearby, sat the shiest of Doves- the Red Collared Dove. The light was right, the bird was polite... suddenly the pains and aches vanished.

First impressions so far... will try it more in the days to come.

-- hide signature --

Arijit

Arijit Banerjee's gear list:Arijit Banerjee's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow