D90 & 18-200VR, aperture reading malfunctioning, showing max f/5 mostly

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Logan769 New Member • Posts: 5
D90 & 18-200VR, aperture reading malfunctioning, showing max f/5 mostly

I'm currently on vacation in hot and humid Japan, and my D90/18-200VR started acting up today. It may have been subject to some minor bumps and shakes, but nothing too out of the ordinary that comes to mind.

It's mostly detecting a maximum aperture of f/5, when it should be down to f/3.5 at 18mm. It's correctly f/5.6 at 200mm.

When set to Aperture priority mode and gently handling the camera, I see the aperture sometimes briefly flicker to the correct maximum for the focal length, e.g. f/3.5 at 18mm, and then back to f/5.

I've tried many things. A freshly charged battery. Reconnecting the lens, multiple times, with the camera in various power states. Story remains the same.

Never had this problem before.

Also checked the operation with my only other lens currently with me, a Tokina 11-16/2.8. It's fine, and stays put at f/2.8.

Has perhaps the humidity or some bumping around caused damage to my 18-200 lens?

Any ideas? Will I need to ship it off for professional service once I'm back from this holiday?

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow