Help with Jewelry Photography and new DSLR

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RickRPremier
RickRPremier New Member • Posts: 12
Help with Jewelry Photography and new DSLR

Recently upgraded from a Nikon Coolpix P510 which I shot in Manual Mode to Nikon D5600 with a Sigma f2.5 105mm macro lens.

I read the book "Nikon D5600 Experience" by Douglas Klostermann with my Cameron on hand to help me navigate my new camera.

I am having trouble getting my photos to look decent.  I have tried the auto setting on the camera AND shooting in manual mode making adjustments.  All the shots of my gold and silver jewelry look flat with no luster or shine to the metal and over all my photos look dark.  I am spotting with daylight bulbs. I was using my old setup from when I had my P510 which was a light tent and 3 spot lights.

I have tried shooting with and without the flash.  Nothing seems to be working.  I'm not sure if I need to buy a special flash or shoot without a flash and add more light.  My P510 took better photos and I am really bummed out.  (I did not use a flash with my P510)  I have taken about 800 photos with the new camera and am not happy with most of them. I am shooting jewelry for my website/product photography.  Can anyone suggest a website or video tutorial, and any advice on lighting?

Not sure what I am missing.  I went to the DSLR because I wanted to improve my photo quality.  I could not get in close enough with the P510 and was spending a lot of time making manual adjustments. The photos were fairly good for the camera I had but I was trying to improve and I feel like I've taking 2 steps forward and 5 steps back.

Ready to learn and get these photos looking better.

Thanks for your time,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Nikon P510

RickRPremier's gear list:RickRPremier's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Nikon D5600 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Coolpix P510 Nikon D5600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow