23/2 vs 18/2

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
confused circle Contributing Member • Posts: 570
23/2 vs 18/2

Not entirely certain if this is even a close call, I lack firsthand knowledge with either. My 18-55 will be in tomorrow. I have a 58mm helios that will be matched to a 0.7625 focal reducer when it comes in. What I am looking for in another prime is something inexpensive, small, lightweight, with good af, more light transmission than the zoom, and a general purpose angle of view. From what I've read, the 18mm is probably the weakest lens in the lineup, but there is something to the rendering that fans of the lens love. Does it compete with the 23mm f2 in handling and acquiring focus?

I occasionally attend poorly lit indoor events, and this prime selection would pull duty there, among some regular walk around casual use.  For the holidays, there will be two such events where i will be trying to get photos of kids running around, receiving gifts, and participating in games, along with the staff hustling about, food being served, and attendees engaged in conversation.  So good af and a faster aperture well be extremely helpful. This is all an amateur effort that I share with the organizations holding the events, photos getting no more than FB shares and personal use for the recipients. No, flash is rarely an option in these particular instances. There will be a couple of places I can, but I also want to better cover times when I cannot.

The standard zoom would sit on the body most of the time outside of these sorts of gatherings.

confused circle's gear list:confused circle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow