Digital Lens Optimiser personally shocked me( in post not in camera )

Started Sep 12, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hermit383
hermit383 Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Digital Lens Optimiser personally shocked me( in post not in camera )

I had no idea what Digital Lens Optimizer actually did. I first discovered it when I turned it on in my 5D4 and with how slow it was, I thought to myself" never again" and never gave it another thought until I learned that It can actually reverse the negative effects of the AA filter as well as sharpening with ZERO sharpening artifacts!

Although I haven't studied it a lot, know that Canon maps out the exact rendering properties of each lens/teleconverter combination.

For me the most significant difference in sharpness, micro contrast, and natural clarity is when using a teleconverter. The difference it makes astounded me actually. Even with my 600f/4 with 2x which is already awesome as it is, with DLO turned on in Canon DPP then converted to 16bit TIFF, and edited in Lightroom was amazing.

To anyone reading this: Seriously Try It

The only unfortunate thing is that i'm using a 5K iMac which uses an AMD graphics card, and for some reason Canon won't support the AMD card in my computer and is forced to work only with the CPU resulting in EXTREMELY slow performance.

I called Canon and they said there is nothing that can be done as a work around for this.

This is really frustrating to me because of how significant

If i had a windows computer ( I've considered getting a cheapish Windows laptop purely to use this feature practically) I would use DLO ( Digital Lens Optimizer) for seriously everything

Lenses I noticed the most significant improvement with:

-50L wide open

16-35 2.8L ii wide open

- any combination of lens/ teleconverter

hermit383's gear list:hermit383's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
irm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow