Canmera Shake a Big Problem for Us All

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg7579
Greg7579 Senior Member • Posts: 2,453
Canmera Shake a Big Problem for Us All

I have been thinking about this for a few years now.  I'm 61 and thankfully in good health.  I have a steady hand.  I love shooting with a tripod and have an expensive RRS travel tripod that I try to take everywhere, but the fact is, I shoot hand-held on the street and on walks and hikes 95% of the time.

I also love shooting my Fuji primes that don't have OIS -- 16, 23, 35, 50 , 56, & 90.

I pick a very small single focus point.  I try to keep it from moving.  I control my breathing, pick a solid stance, have a good hand hold, and prop my body against an object when I can.

I think of stability on every shot because I know the importance of minimizing camera shake.

Camera shake is the culprit of 90% of pixel peeping lens sharpness complaints, and usually people don't even know it.

I believe that the old adage of 50 on 50, or matching or doubling your focal length with speed is under-stated.  I think you need way more than that.

I believe you need 1/200 for a 50mm equivalent lens to get anywhere near tripod steadiness, no matter how good you think you are.  Otherwise, you are sacrificing sharpness.

That is why OIS is so important to have for hand-held shots.  Any loss of TAC-sharpness in the construction of the lens is more than made up by the gain in stability for hand-held shots.

Most people don't care because 90% of all images are viewed on small screens or at low resolutions.  All those phone shots would be a blur on my 4K 32 inch monitor.  That's where you really see it.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow