Long Term: Full Frame (645) Mirrorless Future vs Current 44x33 Offerings

Started Sep 11, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deere New Member • Posts: 12
Long Term: Full Frame (645) Mirrorless Future vs Current 44x33 Offerings

Some background: After 10+ years of shooting 6x6 medium format for fine art in my free time, I finally reached point over the past year where the time and effort demanded to process and scan medium format film became impractical. Having a full-time job outside of photography, it always seemed that so much of my time was consumed simply getting a digital image, never mind the time to edit to a desirable result.

In hopes of staying as close to full frame (645) as possible, I was close a couple years ago to purchasing refurbished IQ260 and Phase body...I am thankful I didn't take that plunge.

The GFX was the first digital MF that seemed like a worthwhile compromise to medium format film...more approachable price point, somewhat light (compared to P1, at least) amazing glass, and generally a product line that (for now) appears to have a bright future and adequate support. I have little to complain about, it is a great rig.

Having said that, I'm at a bit of a crossroads in terms of investing in this system: I'm considering investing in several thousand dollars in G glass over the next 6-months, though I'm struggling to make the jump wondering if a full-frame 645 sensor will make it's way into a Pentax/Fuji body for a reasonable price in 2018. I'm aware of Sony's sensor roadmap, and I'm somewhat hopeful that their larger sensors will be within grasp (financially) in the not-so-distant future.

Any thoughts and opinions on holding out vs going all-in on the GFX would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

David

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow