Are smart phones killing photography ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
EcoPics Senior Member • Posts: 1,472
Re: Are smart phones killing photography ?

Cyril Catt wrote:

noisephotographer wrote:

It seems that users of digicams seek better resolution at high ISO settings, rather than the apparent preference for fast glass of film afficionados.

But digital technology, in phones and cameras, seems to be mitigating shake, overcoming distortion in wider lenses, and yielding better results in dimly lit venues. It also allows my devices to focus and set exposures far quicker and usually better than my aged brain can manage.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Keep in mind hes refering to budget lenses. Put a Fuji kit lens, Fujifilm XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 on a X-T2, or any budget Fuji APSc mirrorless and you wont be shooting with problems like that.

Or lets take the d5500 Dslr at $450 and put a $199 Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G on the front and you are going to be shooting in near pitch black with no need for high ISOs.

So I dont think its a good comparison. There are crappy phone camera lenses and their are crappy ILC kit lenses. IBIS can help, but nothing beats higher sensor size and fast glass for letting in the light.

Also IBIS in phones is no where near the quality of even budget IBIS cameras like the gx85.

In saying that I agree with you, the technology in phones now has really yielded the ability to capture more light in such tiny sensors with quality results.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow