Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 C opinion with pictures.

Started Sep 9, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PaulSnowcat
PaulSnowcat Senior Member • Posts: 1,200
Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 C opinion with pictures.

Recently I added a Nikon D5500 to my Sony A7-2 camera to serve as a travel camera. I enjoy using ultrazooms so I began looking on my choices. Some time ago I've had a Tamron 16-300 and I was really happy with that lens. I was quite bad wide open but it was perfect when close down to f5.6-8. I think that this is acceptable for an ultrazoom. All I require is sharp corners at wide end at least at f8, which Tamron had. And it had pleasant additions - full manual override, weather sealing and 16mm. But I sold that lens when I shifted to full frame along with my trusted Sony A77-2. Half a year later I can say that this was a mistake, A7-2 is getting on my nerves with it's absent ergonomics so I decided to leave all portrait lenses on A7-2, and got Nikon D5500 as my walkaround camera. And of course I wanted an ultrazoom lens.

Now we're getting nearer. I went to buy another Tamron 16-300, but two copies of it failed to impress me with image quality. I KNOW this lens can be good, but those copies that I tired were not impressive at all. Then I tried Sigma 18-300 Contemporary.

It had no full manual override, it is not weather sealed and it starts from 18mm, not from 16mm.

But it's somewhat cheaper (~100usd less) and it is surprisingly sharp and has better macro. Today I had a walk with this new lens and I want to share some results.

First of all the lens is quite sharp close to wide end,

It is perfectly usable wide open at 18mm! This shot made inside a church with poor light conditions.

The lens has 1:3 Macro at 300mm and it's quality is really impressive for a superzoom.

Here is another 300mm shot. Plenty of Sharpness from side to side. This picture has less contrast due to some haze in the air.

A shot around 50mm.

And some near-macro again. Perfectly sharp.

Also the lens is good fir casual portraits.

And some flowers again.

Overall, a very good lens. It has some drawbacks, like 18mm (not 16), no weathersealing and no manual override, but it's the first ultrazoom I see (and I've seen LOTS of them) that can be used at f3.5 at wide end. I mean REALLY can be used.

Sometime ago I've called Tamron 16-300 "the King of Ultrazooms", so now, I guess, I've found a "Queen of Ultrazooms"

BTW I've tried Tamron 18-400 also... It was a disappointment. poor sharpness, poor optical image stabilizer, did not liked it at all.

I hope this was useful.

-
Gallery http://www.alphatraveller.org/gallery/
Blog (Russian lang) http://www.alphatraveller.org

PaulSnowcat's gear list:PaulSnowcat's gear list
Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +3 more
Sigma 18-300 F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM | C
Lens • Canon EF-S, Nikon F (DX), Pentax KAF3, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha • 886
Announced: Sep 12, 2014
PaulSnowcat's score
Average community score
Nikon D5500 Sigma 18-300 F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS | C
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow