Any DSLR shooters here also use micro four thirds

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Cyvan Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Any DSLR shooters here also use micro four thirds

HP1999 wrote:

My main thing is what mirrorless camera can shoot action in low light. I shoot an annual runway fashion show. just stage lighting that sometimes changes / color gels. So I have a moving target walking toward me that stops for maybe 3 seconds turns and walks away. then the next etc.

I also have the event portion of group shots that can be step and repeat. I have behind the scenes hair and MU to shoot as models prepare. On occasion I may grab a detail shot.

Next, I also have an outdoor fundraising event and need to be ready with fill flash. This is a walk with at least 1000 participants maybe more

Then I do the headshot/portrait and luncheon with table shots sort of like a wedding with no music or dancing.

I use a Nikon 24-70 mm 2.8 and 70-200 mm 2.8 with some specialized prime lenses. I use a battery pack for my SB-910 since I need to use flash all the time and I can't get unexposed images as AA batteries die and slowly recharge.

Can micro 4/3's meet these high standards or any mirrorless camera in every way a DSLR can?

Now on the fun hobby side, Yes I agree this is alot more open to interpretation and most likely deciding how a camera functions or sensor size like Fuji or Sony options to think about there.

For making money and hard use that is my concern and i do agree I hate with a passion carrying my Nikon FF gear but to my knowledge I have no other options.

If I am wrong can you direct me to to Pro's using this gear.

I expect clear and clean sharp images my eyes will bleed if so desired even if it is only a 8x10 print.

I'm not a professional and I have no experience with FF gear but I've shot a number of fashion shows and pageants with my GX8. The venues might not be well lit but the stage usually is. I usually use my primes, f1.7- f2.8, where possible and get , what I consider, good results.

Panasonic GX8, Olympus 60mm f/2.8 @ f2.8 iso 400, 1/160th

I also have the 12-35mm f2.8 (24-70mm eq) that I've been using a lot lately.

I know someone else who shoots these events /w the 2 sharpest primes in the MFT system, the Panasonic Nocticron 42.5 (85mm eq) f/1.2 and the Olympus 75mm f1.8 (150mm eq)

The Panasonic's especially have good AF-S and AF-C and burst performance .

For the rest of the events you mention, the native flashes wouldn't be able to keep up but Godox offers native TTL/HSS flashes for MFT like the V860II-O /w a built-in lion battery for longer endurance and faster recycle times , or the 4xAA powered TT685-O that has a power port which can accept their PB960 power pack.

I'm not saying that MFT can exactly match the performance of your Nikon FF gear but its quite capable of giving you good results for a significant savings in weight.  I got the best results once I'd figured out the limits of my gear and planned accordingly. I'd suggest you try renting a kit and see how you like it.

Cyvan's gear list:Cyvan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow