Has anyone hit their shutter count and beyond?

Started Sep 6, 2017 | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072
My Nikon D5100 is at 94,222 clicks.

blueknigh7 wrote:

Just curious on what people do if/when they hit their count. I was practicing sports shots over the weekend, and before I knew it, I had 2k photos for the day. That's a far ways away from my 150,000, but just thinking hypothetically.

I imagine that manufacturer's are extremely conservative with their actual posted numbers, and wouldn't be surprised if their engineered "shutter count" is what 95% of the models live to and many can go well beyond that. but that's just my guess.

So what do you do - and do you care when when you hit it? Prep for a new body, sell, or send it in for maintenance? I imagine there's always new bodies to look for that are more cost effective.

It's been a while since I checked the shutter count on my Nikon D5100.

I just checked it, it's at 94,222 clicks. (I did a lot of volunteer work with this camera.)

According to the Nikon website, it's rated for 100,000 clicks.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5100/features05.htm

When I pass the 100,000 I'll try to remember to post back here! LOL.

But for me, once the shutter goes on this camera, that will be it. I've got a Nikon D7000 and Nikon D750 now, so it doesn't make sense to have it repaired.

And, by my weird way of amortizing camera bodies, this camera owes me nothing anymore anyway.

I paid $800 + tax for it, with kit lens.

I've had it for about 6 years.

So that's about $150 a year.

I take that and look at the number of awesome keepers I've gotten out of it each year, look at that $150 per year and think . . . well worth it! LOL. Camera justified.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Nikon D7000 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow