f stop and crop sensors

Started May 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
Azathothh
Azathothh Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: f stop and crop sensors

mick92627 wrote:

Newbie question here. I have 2 Canon lenses, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, and EF 35mm f/1.4L USM. Usually they are attached to my 5D Mk1.

I am getting a 7D today. I know it's a crop sensor with a 1.6x mag factor, so my lenses are really 38-168mm and 56mm.

My question is: does that effect the f/ number as well? I think it doesn't, but I want to be sure. So for the 2 lenses mentioned above, the f/ will remain f/4 and f/1.4 and widest aperture, correct?

Also, are there any other considerations I should be aware of in taking EF lenses and putting them on crop sensor (EF-S) bodies?

Thanks in advance for any and all who care to take a run at this.

No. Only field of view changes. But that also means it will bring consequences for the depth of field for photos with same framing taken with different sensor sizes. You will stay more far away from your subject when using the 7D which means a bigger depth of field, a less blured background.

Azathothh's gear list:Azathothh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow