In D850 Silent Shooting Mode why is flash sync still 1/250?

Started Sep 2, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
William Faulkner Senior Member • Posts: 1,655
In D850 Silent Shooting Mode why is flash sync still 1/250?

I think I'm missing something here. In Silent Shooting Mode it sounds like (no pun intended) there is no shutter mechanism or mirror involved in taking a picture. My wild a$$ guess is that the sensor gets activated at the precise moment the shutter release is also activated.

Lens has to close down to the desired aperture, then the sensor is set to record the image for the required time electronically mimicking a shutter speed and finally everything is activated.

Bada bing! Image created! All without there being any camera body mechanism in front of the sensor at any time during the creation of that image. Right?

I think I've got that part correct. Silent means no shutter clicking open or shut. No mirror flopping up and down. Silent has got to be accomplished by not using any mechanisms.

So why is there a limit to the top shutter speed that can be used with strobes? Isn't the sensor fully exposed for the entirety of the exposure?

There's got to be a reason it doesn't work that way. If it did Nikon would have blasted that message load and clear. And someone who's tested one would have mentioned it by now.

Guess that leaves Nikon something to add to the D860.

Anyone out there know or have a guess as to why it doesn't work that way?

Bill F

William Faulkner's gear list:William Faulkner's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow