Painting a camera black

Started Aug 12, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Bob Contributing Member • Posts: 620
Re: Painting a camera black

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Bob wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Bob,

Would you be willing to do the paint job yourself?

If so, lots of options are available to you.

I might spray it my self using conventional solvent-based paint. I would not want to powder coat it myself even though the spay gun and oven are relatively cheap. What sort of options would you suggest?

On small parts like that, I would use what Harbor Freight calls a quick-change airbrush, but I wouldn't really call it an airbrush.

It's more like a cheapo miniature paint sprayer.

Here's the link...

https://m.harborfreight.com/quick-change-airbrush-kit-93506.html

I use this tool with a small compressor, and it works surprisingly well for the price.

The finishing color coat I would use would be shellac colored black with universal pigment, followed by shellac tinted with metal-acid dye, followed by a topcoat of clear shellac.

3 coats total, gorgeous deep black finish.

I recommend spraying shellac because of great adhesion, great tolerance of contaminants on the camera parts, ease of final polishing, and lack of noxious fumes or petrosolvents.

One possible downside to spraying shellac is that it takes a long time for the completed shellac coating to fully harden.

Shellac will dry to the touch in only just a few minutes but is easily fingerprinted until after several days of drying.

Link to dye and shellac:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Colors_and_Tints_and_Stains/ColorTone_Liquid_Stains.html

Hope this helps!!

SUPER HELPFUL! Thanks!

I get what you're saying about shellac.  I have experience refinishing furniture, where shellac is the way to go.   I would have intuitively chosen a lacquer (i.e. car paint).  How would shellac hold up against chipping?

You mentioned that the finish coat should be shellac.  What about the initial cover? I was thinking of prepping the chrome with self-etching primer.  Any thoughts on that?

Bob's gear list:Bob's gear list
Nikon D810 Hasselblad XCD 120mm F3.5 Macro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow