D850 sensor - "designed" by Nikon

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
amateurphotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 634
D850 sensor - "designed" by Nikon

source - image resources     D850 product Q&A with Nikon Japan:-

Nikon Designed the D850 sensor themselves

"While Nikon contracts with a silicon foundry to actually manufacture the chips, Nikon confirmed that the D850's sensor is entirely their own design, vs. an off-the-shelf unit from a sensor manufacturer. "

From Fstopper today:-

"In speaking to Imaging Resource, Nikon revealed that they designed the new sensor in the D850 entirely in-house, which is a marked departure, as the company has traditionally used Sony sensors in most of its cameras, including the D850's predecessor, the D810. Nikon didn't mention if this was in response to Sony announcing earlier this year that they would be keeping their best sensors exclusively for their own cameras, though it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case. Furthermore, Nikon said to expect the same image quality at double the ISOs of the D810, representing an improvement of a full stop, along with equal or better dynamic range performance. If this turns out to be true, it'll be particularly impressive considering the camera also gained 10 megapixels over the D810. Like I said, even as a Canon shooter, Nikon piqued my interest with this one."

Is my understanding correct, previous Sony sensors used in Nikon cameras were design and manufactured by Sony, but tweaked by Nikon.  And now the sensor in the D850 is designed and tweaked by Nikon and manufactured by someone else (now totally independent of Sony?   I may have misunderstood.  Anyone?

amateurphotographer's gear list:amateurphotographer's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm GFX 50S +43 more
Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
EOE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow