A shamefull confession

Started Aug 25, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,837
A shamefull confession

I have a shamefull confession to make. I do not make big prints nor do I have any pressing reason to do so.

Bear with me.

I view my pictures on a nice 27 inch monitor and they look great and the urge to print them passes. Most of my stuff gets viewed by others on my Blog,here on this forum, the Mu43 forum or elsewhere on the web.

I make nice Ebooks and I like doing Blurb books where I group pictures on some theme dear to me at the time. My film era prints live in boxes and never get looked at whilst I go back to my Blurb books in my bookcase from time to time.

Now to the point.

There seems to be a lot of angst on foto forums and such about the EM10 III having only a 16MP sensor. I have an EM5 with a 16MP sensor. I have never felt limited image quality wise by this cameras 16MP sensor even with some heavy cropping.

I one was asked to do some pictures of an industrial plant with my old 6MP Nikon D70.

Luckily I had this camera bolted to a tripod when I took the pictures, because they decided to make some A0 display prints of some of the shots. I was amazed at the results. So god knows what 16MP or even 12MP pictures at that size look like.

The only reason I ever see for big MP numbers is to do big prints.

Confess! How many of you do big A0 or larger prints.

Confess your sins. How many of you just view stuff on screen (2MP), on the web or make little 5x4 or at a pinch A4 prints at home or in a lab. 3MP would be fine for this stuff.

Whilst we are on a holy mood, here is a place I found on one of my hikes in Italy. Sinners like you and me who never print giant prints had to carry a stone on their backs up a mountain and deposit it in this place as penitence.

Giro del Diavolo LU

Perhaps a modern version would be to carry a 42 MP DSLR FF with the classic 3 2.8 zooms up a mountain.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D70 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
M_G
(unknown member)
GTD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GTD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow