Painting a camera black

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 3,961
Re: Painting a camera black

Bob wrote:

volks 1 wrote:

Bob wrote:

I have an old Oly rangefinder. I'd like to paint the chrome parts black. Specifically, I'd like to send the chrome parts to an electrostatic powder coating service.

Yeah - it's gonna be cool! I know!

The thing is, I can't find anyone who has actually done this. Everyone on the Internet says "gotta strip off the chrome - right down to the brass before you paint".

Really? Is this true? Why wouldn't paint, especially powder coatings, stick to sand-blasted matte finished chrome?

From Google.......

Yes, you can powder coat chrome parts but there are some exceptions. The chrome needs to be of good quality and not peeling. You also have to accept that their will be less adhesion with powder coated chrome vs. a sandblasted part as the chrome is very smooth so there is not much for the powder to grip on to. However, even with that being said, powder coating over chrome is done all of the time. The special procedure is to make sure that the chrome is completely clean. You can clean off any heavy crud with just regular degreaser. I prefer Simple Green Extreme. Then you will want to wipe it down with denatured alcohol several times to make sure it is completely free of all oils and previous cleaners. Handle it with clean gloves while doing this cleaning procedure. Then you are ready to powder coat.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it light and simple.

Thanks, but I'm coating a camera body, not an exhaust manifold. Nonetheless, I will go through the extra effort to heed your advice about it being clean.

You don't powder coat exhaust manifolds, you ceramic coat them. Just an FYI....

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow