What are your thoughts about using image tracking services?

Started Aug 24, 2017 | Discussions thread
stephang Regular Member • Posts: 155
Re: What are your thoughts about using image tracking services?

Carey Brown wrote:

[...]

Presumably you'd have to upload a copy of all of your posted images to them. [...]

True, however, it doesn't have to be high-rez. They suggest the shorter edge should me no less than 600px, which is what I have so far followed.

How do they find "stolen" photos?

They do a reverse image search, similar to what you can do manually on Google images.

What do they do about false positives?

They present the found matches to you on their web page, with an overlay functionality blending back and forth between your image and the supposed match. It's then pretty obvious whether or not it's the same image.

After reviewing, you have to actively initiate the claim process.

Are files considered to be the same even if just the meta-data has been altered? Are they the same if they've been resized or converted to B&W?

They apparently do a visual comparison. I've had images with different meta data, different resolution, different crop, and b&w conversions detected.

How do they detect legitimate use that your clients have paid for?

They don't, they only present you with possible matches. It's up to you to initiate the claim process  yourself, see above. There is an option to whitelist sites where you know your images are being used legitimately.

My bottom line after two months of use is positive. I feel this sends a statement to the users of my images, and helps me fund my hobby at the same time.

-- hide signature --
 stephang's gear list:stephang's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow