X100F - Kind of Disappointed

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
logan2z Regular Member • Posts: 271
X100F - Kind of Disappointed

I've been thinking about buying a Leica M camera for street photography but was hoping to find an alternative at a better price point. After having read several reviews of the X100F I had the impression that this could be a great alternative to a Leica for far less $$$. Everything I read said that the X100F had build quality on par with the Leica, uses all metal construction, the ergonomics were great, etc. To quote Ken Rockwell, "The X100F is crafted of all metal to the same or better standards as a LEICA. The X100F is a jewel of precision, not a plastic turd like most cameras today".  Given the high praise bestowed on the camera by respected reviewers, I decided to drop by my local Fuji dealer last night to check it out in person before deciding to purchase. Honestly I was pretty disappointed.

I know this is the Fuji forum and there are obviously a lot of fans of the brand and the X100F here, but, overall, the camera felt kind of cheap to me. Is the camera really all metal as stated in the reviews (aside from the battery door)? It certainly didn't feel like it was. The black textured area on the body sure felt like plastic (not sure why they'd try and make it look like leather, better to just omit that completely) and the camera was as light as a feather. Of course low weight is not a bad thing for a street camera, but it gave the camera a chintzy feel. Similarly, the dials that were highly praised in the online reviews felt plasticky/cheap to me and didn't have a weighty, reassuring feeling when I was operating them. I felt that the stubby pancake lens was very awkward to operate as there is very little room between it and the body to interact with the aperture and focus rings. In terms of build quality and ergonomics, I much prefer the little Leica D-Lux 109 that I've been using for the past few months. It feels like a much more substantial camera and the controls inspire confidence.

Again, I really wanted to love this camera. It sounded like an economical alternative to the much more expensive Leica Ms, with a terrific feature set and exceptional build quality. But it didn't live up to the hype in my mind, at least not in terms of ergonomics or build quality. Of course the proof is in the IQ and everything I've seen online that was shot with the X100F looked terrific. But besides stellar image quality, I want a camera that I enjoy shooting with and that feels like a quality product in my hand.  IMO, the X100F did not fit the bill there.

I've got my flame suit buttoned up so have at it

logan2z's gear list:logan2z's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica Summarit-M 35mm F2.4 ASPH +1 more
Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow