Which lens would compliment my new 70-200 f2.8 better?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cameranoobie Senior Member • Posts: 1,696
Which lens would compliment my new 70-200 f2.8 better?

I have Tamron G2 70-200 f2.8 , Sigma 18-35 1.8 and Nikon 85 1.8G.

I just got the G2 a couple days ago and this will be my main beast as it will be on my camera 95% of the time. I LOVE IT! I will eventually get a 1.4xTC for it down the road to give me telephoto capabilities but I know this will be my main beast and it will be my mainstay on my camera.

Now I would love to keep both the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and Nikon 85mm 1.8G,  but unfortunately in order to make this work in me getting the G2 I had to be willing to sacrifice one of the two other lenses. If I was made of money, I would keep all 3 no problem, but I am not and I am just trying to make sacrifices where I can. All I know is 70-200 is perfectly suited for my needs and I made sacrifices to afford this bad boy.

I shoot equine shows and equine portraiture. I do like sunsets as well but I am not into night, street, or landscape very much. So unless I am shooting indoors in super tight spaces (Which isn't often at all), I almost never shoot wide angle unless it's super wide angle (then I would use our 7-14mm lens that I have access to from work). I am much more into wide angle than wide angle stuff.

The tightest spaces that I ever see myself shooting in would be barns, perhaps smaller offices for work.

I love both the Sigma and Nikon. I love the flexibility, feel and zoom ring on the Sigma. It's by far the best and smoothest zoom ring I have ever felt in my life WOW. This lens is gorgeous and the gearhead side of me tells me to not let it go simply cause it's too gorgeous and a work of art. If I was made of money, even if I didn't use this lens, I would buy this lens just to be able to rub and feel it.

When I got the Sigma a month ago, I did some testing to see how I liked shooting portraiture at 35mm FL and I'm not sure if I am digging it compared to the 85mm FL on the Nikon. The main reason why I got the Sigma was because I've always wanted to try this lens out and I got a crazy good deal on it used. I can resale it today for exactly what I paid, whereas on the 85mm Nikon, I would take a hit.

But flip to the other side of things and I also have the 85mm FL on my new G2, so is there redundancy having the 85mm 1.8G Nikon when I already have it in my G2?

Now that I have the G2 and I will be using it all the time when I shoot shows and portraiture. I will no longer have to change lenses each time now that I have a lens that is capable of both portraits and action and low light. This is a huge reason why I got the 70-200.

But that's not to say that I won't still use the 85mm for portraits, the big question is how often and how willing am I to swap lenses going from 70-200 for action to the 85mm for portraits and back to the 70-200 for action?

So Im just not sure which would compliment my 70-200 the best without feeling redundant.

I will say that I love my 85mm Nikon, it has amazing FL for portraits, compression and bokeh. I instantly fell in love with it and the moment I took it out of the box. But I also instantly fell in love with the Sigma.

The 85mm is super light as well, but the build quality isn't anywhere near the quality of the SIgma. For shooting portraits, I would reach for my 85mm Nikon over the SIgma 10 out of 10 times. But the Sigma has the ability to shoot wide angle portraits and indoors.

If you convince me that I should keep both the Sigma and Nikon, then I will find other means to recover most of the costs on my 70-200.

Thanks

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow