Oh no not another 16Mp camera!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,387
Oh no not another 16Mp camera!

There are a lot of photographers totally distraught and ready to fall on their Olympus swords at the announcement of the EM10III. Judging by the outpourings of grief It is doubtful that Olympus will ever sell another camera. A bit over the top methinks. Is the difference betwen 16 and 20mp really that great in the grand scheme of things. Cast your mind back just over a year and there were similar wailings at the launch of the G80 yet a year on it's hard to see a more satisfied group of users than G80 owners. If we forget the numbers it is very obvious that the G80 is a significant step up on it's predecessors yet it carried forward the 16MP sensor. I have no idea what the difference between the G7 sensor and the G80 sensor is although we do know that the anti alias filter was removed. I have no doubt that many minor changes applied to the G80 has enabled me to take much better pictures than I was a year, notably on my more difficult moving subjects. What I am getting at is nobody knows how much of an improvement the EM10III will be but I suspect that Olympus think they made improvements.

I'm not even convinced by the seemingly logical argument that 20Mp means more scope for cropping. I recently started the following thread https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4191893 to demonstrate how I thought my cropping abilities with the 16Mp sensor G80 improved over my cropping abilities with the 16Mp sensor G7. To me this was obvious as soon as I started playing with the G80.

I assume that the doubters will move to Fuji or Sony while others will be saying in 6 months time what a great camera the EM10III is. The proof of the pudding....as they say

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow