E-1 added to 4:3 collection

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rdginto New Member • Posts: 16
E-1 added to 4:3 collection

I was able to land an E-5 about a year ago, having progressed from the E-510 (my first digital camera) to the E-620 (big improvement), and I've been having fun learning to master the instrument. I have been able to build a reasonable stable of lenses, although I still have not acquired one of the 50-200's.

All in all the E-5 learning has been going well, but I was intrigued by the talk here on DP as well as some other sites, discussing the Kodak CCD sensor in the E-1 (and some of the MF backs and bodies, like the Pentax 645D). So, I went looking to see what an E-1 would cost and was shocked to see such a low market for them. Needless to say I jumped on one and got it home for about $125CAD shipping included. Feels like theft.

After getting the camera home and equipping it with a 14-54/II I felt compelled to post here out of admiration for the unit. I should add the one I bought was very lightly used - in fact I could not find a mark on it anywhere, but did find out that it has about 12K shutter actuations. Effectively mint! Sample shot below.

Some impressions:

Smaller and in some ways easier to handle then the E-5, mates very nicely to the 14-54

Don't mind the tiny screen on the back (the only part that was not included was the snap-on hatch for the screen)

Controls easy to use once re-mapped cognitively from the E-5

ISO 800 noise is easy to deal with in LR/PS

Very, very nice build quality. Olympus must have really sweated this one as their flagship.

Colours are wonderful!

One or two questions/comments:

I can't see a camera profile in LR (Adobe Std is only option shown for rendering) - is there one out there?

Is the battery supposed to 'click' into the well on the grip? Seems awkward to have to hold the door down with one finger while turning the latch.

Here's a sample:

expos adj, wb and sharpening done in LR from RAW

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow