5D Mark IV 4k(wide angle): Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS Lens review (crop)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BlueCosmo5050
BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,307
5D Mark IV 4k(wide angle): Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS Lens review (crop)

So, I've been enjoying the 5D Mark Iv's 4k quite a lot but there was that issue of wide angle shots. I like to shoot at about 35mm FF equiv. for a lot of shots.

Most of the time the full frame 35mm works fine at the 1.7x crop or the 24 from the 24-70 2.8 ii so I didn't really want to go spend the money for the 16-35 F/4 IS just for the occasional wide shot. Usually the only time I need a shot that wide is scenery type stuff.

I bought the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS made for crop cameras. Although fits on the 5D Mark Iv of course, in 4k it equals out to about a 29-85mm lens.

I'm a bit more impressed than I thought I'd be. I expected the IS to be crap and it seems to be smooth, although I have only tested it at the wider end. The dual pixel AF works flawless and quickly with the lens.

I cannot see any sharpness difference, considering 4k is only 8 MP I didn't imagine I would.

All in all it's a good buy for $369 dollars new.

Also want to mention I got a Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB along with it and it shoots 4k with no problems, I ran it a long time (SD card) Not all SD cards will shoot 4k on the 5d Mark IV, even if the read/write speeds say they should.

It's the one with the V30 on the card. I have the same card with the same exact speeds without the V30 written on the card and it doesn't shoot 4k in the 5D.

BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow