6Dii - Switching between Ai Servo and One shot?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sobrien
sobrien Regular Member • Posts: 339
6Dii - Switching between Ai Servo and One shot?

To owners of the 6D mark ii

I noticed a change in the 6Dii manual regarding the assignable function of switching from Ai Servo to One shot and vice-versa.

The 6Dii manual describes that functionality (page 500) as operating when you "press" the assigned button. Previously it has been described as operating when you "hold down" the button (see, for example, page 436 of the 80D manual).

Is it the case that you when you assign this function on the 6D mark ii you no longer have to hold the button? So that a single press of the button will change the autofocus mode and releasing the button does not cause it to revert back to what it was?

I am particularly interested in hearing how this functionality works when it is assigned to the * button. If it works as described above then it could be very usefully used in conjunction with the AF-On button for back button focus. I rarely use exposure lock/hold so could probably live with giving up that functionality in the name of a marginally better autofocus experience (I say marginally better because Ai Servo works pretty well for stationary subjects too and BBF allows you to focus and recompose with it if necessary).

Thanks!

Shane

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135843555@N03/

sobrien's gear list:sobrien's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +6 more
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow