productive afternoon with CV 40 Nokton v 1 (5 pics)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Artichoke
Artichoke Forum Pro • Posts: 12,390
productive afternoon with CV 40 Nokton v 1 (5 pics)

on my venerable M9

I had been meaning to visit the U of H Downtown gallery in their student center (near the courts & civic center) which was showing the amazing Windows on Death Row show, featuring editorial art about execution & art work from prisoners on death row

Arnold Prieto Self Portrait

the exhibit has moved to Columbia University in NYC & well worth seeing, but you may need an antidote after, as I did

fortunately I had the wisdom to visit the Watermelon Dance at Houston's wonderful Last Concert Cafe just around the corner for soul revitalization & victuals

FK mural LCC

they had just finished this fabiola mural commissioned for this venue

I had gotten there well before prime time but enjoyed some watermelon & their outstanding fish tacos with refried beans & rice washed down by a Lone Star from their tap before the first band took the stage

Mexicana de Aviacion Tour Chiapas Iso 640 pushed

after my restitution I heard a few bands

Tom Turner Band

and even took a spin with a gal, slinging my kit over my shoulder

went back in to take this one after solving a long personal mystery & to make a point about shooting with an ancient CCD sensor

Proprietors Past & Present

the owner is a grand art patron who purchased this old bordello, located near Houston's Courts, Jail & warehouses

she remodeled the building, developing an outstanding venue for music, drink/food & art

Judge Jackson presided over a criminal court & was a regular, according to a maven

nb:  this was pushed at least 2.5 stops, well beyond that which I could see & more for didactic effect than for aesthetics

the Watermelon Dance is an annual fund raiser for our Pacifica Radio Station, KPFT

more from this outing along with shooting information (time stamp off) & much larger versions here:

Windows on Death Row

Watermelon Dance

hope this helps folks understand why I love the M9 for some low light work

-- hide signature --

pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
my PBase Galleries
"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow