Disappointing

Started 4 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
agatek New Member • Posts: 1
Disappointing

I own TG-2 that after long time and pretty extensive use started to malfunction in image stabilization. As I was generally happy with TG-2, TG-5 was a natural choice so I bought it. Unfortunately I consider this move a mistake. I don't see any significant/practical improvements comparing to the 3 generation back model.

The camera is a bit lighter and smaller but it feels cheap - the metal housing was replaced by some plastic.

The GPS performance and its ergonomy is actually worse than of TG2. Each time the camera is switched off, even with the GPS left on, it needs to look again to get a fix and it takes up to a few minutes. TG2, ones it got the fix could be switched off and back on and the fix was there, The screen showing the GPS position is not there any longer. Also getting the fix after the cold start in general takes more time than for my old TG-2. The GPS features and performance alone is a single thing I would not buy this camera again.

Perhaps one of the most annoying problems of TG-2 was a very loud zoom motor. TG-5 offers virtually no improvement in that respect. Yes, the motor is a bit less noisy in TG-5 but still very annoying.

The rest of the features seems similar between these two models except perhaps of 4k recording that I don't use but also didn't manage to perform longer than a few seconds using class 10 SD card.

Overall, very disappointing. One could expect some improvements towards a 4y old camera of the same serie and some things got actually worse.

Olympus Tough TG-5
12 megapixels • 3 screen • 25 – 100 mm (4×)
Announced: May 17, 2017
agatek's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
weak
Portraits
weak
Low light (without flash)
weak
Flash photography (social)
mediocre
Studio / still life
bad
= community average
Olympus TG-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow