Getting back into M43 on the cheap

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
imashination Regular Member • Posts: 406
Getting back into M43 on the cheap

Sooo, I had plenty of fun years with a GF1 + 20mm + 45-200 a while back, but had to sell them for financial reasons, though I did hold onto the GF1 body as it seemed to be worthless second hand on ebay.

A few years back I picked up an LX100 as it seemed it might be all I needed, and whilst its a great camera, I miss the fun of faster primes and longer zooms.

So now im looking to get back to something where I can change lenses once more and am wondering what people might suggest to get back into the game on the cheap. I'll be selling the LX100 which will leave me with about £300 in my pocket after ebay and paypal fees; Im happy to add a few hundred to this for buying something new. As mentioned, I do still have the GF1 and it works fine, but I wouldn't mind a newer body for a higher res and possibly in body stabilisation. I should say, I don't care about viewfinders, Im happy with the screen on the back.

Lens-wise, all I have right now is an old OM 50mm 1.8 lens and a pair of silly CCTV lenses, all manual of course. They're good for a play but I'd like something automatic. I prefer primes where possible, I find the limitations force me to be more creative, and relieve the burden of having too many choices. If not, then a long zoom I can just crank up and treat as a prime (my 45-200 pretty much lived at 200).

So I'm open to any suggestions, lets say £600 total spending money. Are the newer 20mm pancakes still slow as molasses to focus? is there anything better than the 45-200 I should look at for a telephoto? Even, dare I say it, should I look broader in terms of system, how is the Sony mirrorless ecosystem these days? Last I checked they had very few lenses to choose from. Did canon or nikon ever get around to competing?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow