Mismatched cut sections in Photoshop

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rankin Johnson Regular Member • Posts: 313
Mismatched cut sections in Photoshop

I have noticed that if I cut a piece out of an image and make it into its own new layer, the two layers do not quite align. I first noticed it when trying to insert someone into a group picture, which I did by cutting out the background just where that person would be, and using that as a background layer, and then putting the person's image on top as the next layer, and then putting the rest of the team portrait on top as the third layer. I never moved the background or the portrait layers at all, but they didn't align perfectly, so there was a thin white line around one size until I manually realigned. And right now, as I'm trying to remove banding from an eclipse photo, I tried to create a separate layer of just the sky with an egg-shaped selection of the eclipse itself, and there's a thin white band around half of the egg when I put the layers together.

I selected an area using whatever tool seemed best, and then made a new layer via cut. It is totally possible that I'm doing things inefficiently or even wrong, but the layers should line up anyway, right? And cutting bits out as if with a pair of scissors, so there's no redundancy, makes this particular problem easier to spot. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Mac and updated Photoshop CC.

-- hide signature --

/s/ Rankin Johnson

Rankin Johnson's gear list:Rankin Johnson's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T*
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow