Easily extending A6xxx Power with external battery

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tommygun45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,349
Easily extending A6xxx Power with external battery

Thought I'd share this little thing I did yesterday. I am sure others have come up with creative solutions but here is another one.

I wanted to do a time lapse yesterday of the eclipse, not the actual sun but just my neighborhood. Problem was I had to go out for a shoot and was going to be gone for a few hours. Anyways I had this little RavPower battery pack hanging around. I also have a SmallRig cage for my a6500. I put it on a tripod, and used a zip tie, and then a piece of duct tape to hold the zip tie to the battery pack. It was all very securely held to the cage with little to no movement, but still gave access to the ports. Then I ran the micro usb into the camera. I got home later in the night and it had been doing a timelapse at 1fps@60fps and it was at 6 hours and 43 minutes. The battery on the A6500 still read 73% so it still had a long way to go. Simple, stupid hack but it didnt put any strain on usb port and the thing will run for I'd say at least 8 hours.

Only problem is I had to cut the zip tie after to release it from the cage, but they are obviously dirt cheap so that isn't really an issue. I know there are more formal ways to do this but this was with existing stuff I had around the house and needed in a pinch. USB charging is pretty awesome on these cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y2PX4YI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

There are better and smaller battery packs of course available too for this kind of stuff.

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow