Kanchanjunga at dawn

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
purpwaltz
purpwaltz Regular Member • Posts: 253
Kanchanjunga at dawn

On a trek along the India-Nepal border in April this year, we reached Sandakphu - at an altitude of 3636m (11,929 ft) above MSL - in the evening. On a clear day, three of the four highest peaks in the world can be seen from Sandakphu - Mt Everest, Lhotse, Makalu and Kanchanjunga. We camped there. That night we had what is certainly the worst storm I have ever experienced, as high velocity winds howled and screamed, and rain and hail fell down on us in torrents. Our trek leader declared an emergency and ordered us out of our tents and into a little Tea House close by. An hour or so later the intensity of the storm lessened, and some of us opted to stay in our tents rather than crowd into the Tea House for the night. It rained most of the night.

I woke up the next morning at around 4:00 AM, and when I got out of the tent, there was a thick fog. I climbed a nearby hillock with a couple of trek companions, and as we stood on top, looking north, it was like staring into a jug of milk - the fog was that thick. I set up my camera on a tripod and waited. A little before sunrise, I saw the moon directly overhead, which was good news, as it was a sign that the sky may clear up for us to catch a glimpse of the high peaks. Within minutes I saw the sky lighten up towards the east, and the fog was starting to melt. A little later, the outline of the "Sleeping Buddha" became visible - the belly of the "Sleeping Buddha" is Kanchanjunga - the third highest peak in the world. In the next few minutes the fog cleared, and as the sun rose, it bathed the "Sleeping Buddha" with its rays. I got a number of exposure from different vantage points, and I thought that this one particular image out of all my other images captured best the spirit of the high mountains that magical morning.

Mahesh

The "Sleeping Buddha" as seen from Sandakphu - India-Nepal border - April 2017

-- hide signature --

"My first thought is always of light" -- Galen Rowell

purpwaltz's gear list:purpwaltz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha a7 II +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow