An interesting story

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CD1 Regular Member • Posts: 227
An interesting story

Tonight I recalled a story from about 10 years ago, when I had just gotten into photography.  I was going to a surprise party for my brother in laws birthday.  It was at a little restaurant way outside of town and there were to be maybe 70 to 100 people, mostly from his church.

I thought it would be a wonderful learning opportunity for me so I rented a flash to go with my 40D and I planned to just shoot pics all night to document the party for him.

It was packed and I just worked my way around the outside of the room, trying to be as inconspicuous as one can be with a bounce flash going off every few seconds.

The night wound down and it was a great success.  He had a great time and was totally surprised.  I hardly spoke to anyone all night.  After almost everyone had gone I found myself putting my gear away and a guy walked up to me.

I'd never met him but I knew who he was.  He's one of the most prominent heart doctors in the city, from a family of prominent doctors.  He waited around so he could walk over to me, shake my hand and say something along the lines of "I just wanted to say that I really appreciate what you do.  The photographer never gets any thanks, but plays such a vital role."  He went on to tell me that his dad was into photography and we spoke for a few minutes.  It was totally, totally, totally unexpected.  To this day I'm still pleasantly surprised that someone would go out of their way to say something so nice, just for the sake of being nice.

The fact that it was a guy who seemingly had so many more important things to do was just as interesting.  Here was a guy with all the money and status one could conceivably have in a large city, and he took the time to stay late and say thanks to an unpaid photographer he had never met.

People surprise me all the time.

Canon EOS 40D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CD1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow