Solar Eclipse Totality using 500mm Minolta Catadioptric Lens on A850

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ed Tech New Member • Posts: 21
Solar Eclipse Totality using 500mm Minolta Catadioptric Lens on A850

Took this Solar Eclipse photo of Totality from just north of Wood River, Nebraska using my trusty Sony Alpha A850 and Minolta 500mm Reflex lens. Went with Oak Park High School (Oak Park, California) Rocketry team (as the K-12 public school district's Director of Technology) to launch a weather balloon with cameras to try to catch the eclipse from above the atmosphere (but camera batteries died due to extreme cold temperatures above 50,000 feet). Didn't have much time to play around between trying to live stream the event to our school district students on YouTube (bit.ly/OProcketry) and snapping some photos quickly.

Photo is unretouched. I manually set the exposure based on some tables I consulted but getting focus just right was difficult due to having to look at view finder through solar protective glasses (too dark to see focusing squares in view finder) and was fortunate enough to grab this image which includes solar flares.  No filters were used in front of the lens (nor behind the lens), so the sensor is seeing things "nakedly".

Solar Eclipse from Wood River, Nebraska, USA. 2017-08-21 (c) By Enoch Kwok. Sony A850/Minolta 500mm Reflex ISO200  F8  1/750sec

Ed Tech's gear list:Ed Tech's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +8 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow