2017 Eclipse from Saint Louis, Missouri

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoeMoMo
JoeMoMo Regular Member • Posts: 227
2017 Eclipse from Saint Louis, Missouri

I already shared in "This Week Through Your m4/3" thread but thought it would be easier to share in my own post for others to enjoy as well.

I originally just planned to enjoy the experience with the kids at their school and decided at the last minute to give it a try. I already knew what settings I was going to use from past experience capturing the moon at night, so I used that as my starting point. I didn't capture many because I didn't have a solar filter and had to wait for totality, plus like I said, I really wanted to experience the moment.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results, now for the photos...

My two girls at school just minutes before totality. At this point, the insects started making a bit more noise and the sky was getting dark pretty quickly. I tried to capture a couple more of the kids but the shutter speed dropped quickly, so they were quickly blurred as I started losing light.

My first in the series. I didn't even realize I wasn't at my planned aperture and shutter speed. I was planning to start at f/16 @ 1/125s ISO 200!!

I quickly made the adjustments to capture the next three photos. At this point, the insects were really loud and flying around as if it was night time. I didn't get a picture of the sky behind me but it was surreal still being lit by the available sun. It was like looking through a dark pair of polarized glasses, the sky was a dim blue with whitish gray puffy clouds.

One more photo before taking some time to enjoy the experience. I think we had a little less than a minute of totality, could've been more, all I know is it felt fast.

Diamond Ring!! I really got lucky with this capture. I wasn't even looking at my camera or the eclipse because I was talking to my girls explaining all the other things they should be taking notice of, like the insects, the ground, the sky behind us. All of a sudden, I noticed things starting to brighten up and remembered that I needed to snap one more picture before putting my lens cap back on, remember, no solar filter.

I hope you all enjoy!!

JoeMoMo's gear list:JoeMoMo's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 25mm F1.2
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow