How sharp is the 18-55 VRII? Let me say that

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 11,371
How sharp is the 18-55 VRII? Let me say that

I love this little lens, lightweight and competent.  How competent?

I make money with my cameras and I'd shot with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC for a few years and thought it was pretty darn sharp.

Then I bought a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and it was just a little sharper, with the added bonus of image stabilization.

I bought a D3300 for a walk around camera (my work camera is my d7200) and with it came the 18-55 VRII.  Since it's got basically the same sensor as my D7200, I've been pretty confident shooting with it.

I just did a side x side x side test with all three lenses mounted on my D3300 and...

#1  Sigma 17-50

#2  Nikon 18-55 VRII, a close second, it's true

#3  Sadly, the Tamron comes in third.  Just behind the 18-55 VRII but...my pixel peeping doesn't lie.  Pixel peeping at all corners and center, I know it's a sickness but...

I shoot at f/8 (sunny daylight images) so I don't need the f/2.8 capabilities of the other two lenses.  I'd always thought my Tamron was really sharp but, apparently it's not.  Anyone who thinks the 18-55 VRIi (at least equal to my copy) is some throw-away "kit" lens, they're wrong.

If someone can point me to a short-zoom DX lens that's sharper than my Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, please do.

Nikon D3300 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow