Best option for a 85mm other than the Zeiss?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
q5sys
q5sys Regular Member • Posts: 274
Best option for a 85mm other than the Zeiss?

I'm looking for a replacement for my current Sony 85mm f2.8, and I seems like this range has very few options, so I was looking for input on what people liked.

I had the Zeiss 85 f1.4, but ultimately got rid of it because I found the CA to be attrocious, I'd end up spending more time in post trying to remove the CA than anything else. Sure it was nice and crisp, and the color rendition was great... but when every shot is full of green and purple fringe... it's not a useful lens.

EDIT: This post shows what I mean: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3628836#forum-post-53180986
Purple fringing around the entire subject, and purple and green fringing around almost every tree.

I really wish Sigma would release their 85mm Art for the A-Mount, but apparently they aren't going to... so what other options are out there that you all would recommend?

q5sys's gear list:q5sys's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +30 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow