A battle with Fuji...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iblackwood Forum Member • Posts: 87
A battle with Fuji...

So I was recently hired for a wedding. It was me and another guy who recently forged a partnership to photograph local weddings. I was armed with my X-Pro2 and an X-E1 back up body - with the Samyang 12mm f/2.0, 23mm f/2.0 and a 56mm f/1.2 lenses at my disposal.

The other guy was armed with a Pentax K-1, an Irix 15mm wide angle, 50mm f/1.7 and a Tamron 24-75mm f/2.8 (I think that was the zoom lengths. They make a weird one for the Pentax, not the standard 24-70mm).

I'll save a whole lot of the story by skipping straight to the ceremony. I arrived to find the other shooter already there. The plan was he would capture them walking up the aisle, we would both cover the ceremony and then he would capture them coming down the aisle. His thinking was that he had a FF camera and could capture better quality images. However, when I arrived, he came to me in a panic saying that his camera was struggling to focus in the dark. The room was very, very dark, with intense purple lights. He said I would have to cover the aisle walks and he would capture what he could. That was ok with me, I had both cameras on the dual strap, ready to wield what was required. I snapped away and that was that.

Fast forward to the first dance, I pull out my Godox TT350F and hook it up via a canon cable to the hotshoe. I was able to move around, capturing the couple in another very dark room. He snapped away with no flash and I assumed that he was able to get the images without a flash. I didn't want to take that chance. I asked why he didn't use one and he said that the dynamic range on the Pentax was incredible and he could pull everything up in post-processing without loss to quality.

Present day and he sent me his edited images to send to the couple.

Here are a few examples of the ceremony:

And here are my shots:

Now I know that his editing may have a part to play in this. He may have over edited and the dynamic range may well be amazing. I just can't see it in the above shots though (although I did not see the original RAW files).

Below are his shots from the first dance / group dancing:

You can see me working away in the background with my off camera flash

And here are my shots:

I know the flash has helped me out here and it may not have been powerful enough to reduce any noise (also the auto ISO kept setting itself at 3200, something I should of manually set to a lower ISO myself to preserve quality).
This is not a rant at his editing style or methods but more of a declaration that in low light, the Fuji does perform well. Autofocusing was a dream for me, I was barely missing a shot (and the 56mm f/1.2 helped a lot) but he was really struggling and at points just stood around not taking pictures whilst I snapped away.

So I guess the thing to take from this was that although he may have a FF camera with all the bells and whistles, he shouldn't have viewed my cameras as 'a cute little setup' and realised a Fuji would have suited him better on the day

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow