Looking for input on switching to Fuji from Canon

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MikeJ9116 Senior Member • Posts: 2,656
Looking for input on switching to Fuji from Canon

I am a long time Canon user and have owned an M3 for the past two years.  I won't get into the details of what I don't like bout it but in a word it is SLLOOWW.  I looked at the M5 and while it is a vast improvement on the M3 there are some quirks like low light focusing, dedicated flash performance etc. that have kept me from buying one.  Then there is the dismal EF-M lens catalog and Canon's unwillingness to bring more lens and lenses of higher quality to the EOS M line.  Consequently, I am seriously considering a move to another brand.  After researching MFT, Sony and Fuji it seems that the X-T20 ticks a lot of boxes for what I want in an MILC.

The fly in the ointment for me making a decision is that Canon has released the SL2 which is their very small DSLR and they have spec'ed this camera very well considering its cost of $550.  I know comparing the SL2 to the X-T20 isn't apples to apples but I have EF/EF-S lenses to use on it so a $550 body is all I need to hit the ground running.  With the X-T20 I have a fantastic lens catalog to choose from so over time I can assemble a kit to do anything I need to do from a photography basis.

Initially, I am considering buying the X-T20 and the 18-55mm kit.  I know most of the good things about this camera and that list is a long one.  However, I would like to hear from owners what they don't like about it or what issues they have encountered and did they find a way to deal with them.  I  would also like to hear from people that moved to the Fuji X-T2 or X-T20 from DSLRs and what they gained and lost from the change.  Any input will be appreciated as I am going on vacation in a month and will be making a decision on which way I go before then.  If I choose Fuji, I will need to get the camera soon to leave me some time to get familiar with it before traveling.

MikeJ9116's gear list:MikeJ9116's gear list
Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow